Thane Relief Work – Vasan Charitable Trust
Vasan Charitable Trust (the CSR arm of Vikatan Group) with the generous support of its readers has undertaken several initiatives to rehabilitate and rebuild the lives of those affected by the Cyclone Thane.
1. Amabalavananpettai and Kurinjipadi Refugee camps: Monthly provisions like rice, cooking oil, pulses along with clothing and bedsheets were distributed for 310 poor families in Amabalavananpettai and Kurinjipadi at an estimated cost of Rs.5 lakhs.
2.Naduthittu village: Only source of living for the 70 poor families in this village were the produce from cashew trees cultivated in less than 1½ acres. With all the cashew trees uprooted by Cyclone Thane they have lost their hope of living. Vikatan has taken up the initiative of removing the uprooted trees spread across 170 acres in Naduthittu village at a cost of Rs.10 lakhs.
3. Medical Camps: Vikatan has undertaken conducting of medical camps with a team 20 doctors and 10 supporting staff in the villages of Cuddalore district. This is conducted once in two weeks with camps being conducted in Pathirakottai and Puthur villages till now. The required medicines are distributed free of charge to all the village households. These camps will be conducted at an estimated cost of Rs.7 lakhs.
4. Housing Project: Thyagavalli village in Cuddalore district was identified to provide housing to 16 poor families who have lost not only their houses but also all other belongings. This work will be done at an estimated cost of Rs.5 lakhs.
5. Thazhanguda Fishing village: Vikatan has planned to repair large boats which have been damaged, and to replace small boats totally destroyed by Cyclone Thane in Thazhanguda Fishing village. It will also provide new fishing nets to the fishermen community in this village.
6. Renovation of School buildings: Vikatan has planned to take up renovation work in 7 school buildings which were damaged due to the storm.